What substances have been added to the Candidate List?
ECHA, on request of the European Commission or a Member State, may propose a substance to be identified as of very high concern (SVHC). If the substance is identified as such, it will be added to the Candidate List for its eventual inclusion in the authorisation list (REACH Annex XIV). The inclusion of a substance in the Candidate List creates law obligations for the companies producing, importing or using these substances as such, in preparations or in articles.
On July 8th 2021, eight substances have been added to the Candidate List, some of which are used as solvents, flame retardants, to manufacture plastics products or scented articles:
- 2-(4-tert-butylbenzyl)propionaldehyde and its individual stereoisomers
- Orthoboric acid, sodium salt (CAS 13840-56-7, EC 237-560-2)
- 2,2-bis(bromomethyl)propane1,3-diol (BMP), 2,2-dimethylpropan-1-ol, tribromo derivative/3-bromo-2,2-bis(bromomethyl)-1-propanol (TBNPA) e 2,3-dibromo-1-propanol (2,3-DBPA)
- Glutaral (CAS 111-30-8, EC 203-856-5)
- Medium-chain chlorinated paraffins (MCCP) UVCB substances consisting of more than or equal to 80% linear chloroalkanes with carbon chain lengths within the range from C14 to C17
- Phenol, alkylation products (mainly in para position) with C12-rich branched alkyl chains from oligomerisation, covering any individual isomers and/ or combinations thereof (PDDP)
- 1,4-dioxane (CAS 123-91-1, EC 204-661-8)
- 4,4'-(1-methylpropylidene)bisphenol (CAS 77-40-7, EC 201-025-1)
The substance tetrahydro-4-methylphthalic anhydride (EC 251-823-9) was in the past erroneously associated by ECHA to the SVHC Hexahydromethylphthalic anhydride [including cis- and trans-stereo isomeric forms and all possible combinations of the isomers]. ECHA has corrected this error by removing tetrahydro-4-methylphthalic anhydride from the list of substances of very high concern.