Which new substances have been added to REACH Annex XIV?
Regulation 2017/999 adds 12 new entries to REACH Annex XIV, bringing the total number of substances to 43.
The following substances have been added:
- 1-Bromopropane (n-propyl bromide) (CAS: 106-94-5) – Toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1B)
- Diisopentylphthalate (CAS: 605-50-5) – Toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1B)
- 1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, di-C6-8-branched alkyl esters, C7 rich (CAS: 71888-89-6) – Toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1B)
- 1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, di-C7-11-branched and linear alkyl esters (CAS: 68515-42-4) – Toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1B)
- 1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, dipentylester, branched and linear (CAS: 84777-06-0) Toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1B)
- Bis(2-methoxyethyl) phthalate (CAS: 117-82-8) – Toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1B)
- Dipentylphthalate (CAS: 131-18-0) – Toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1B)
- N-pentyl-isopentylphthalate (CAS: 776297-69-9) – Toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1B)
- Anthracene oil (CAS: 90640-80-5) – Carcinogenic (Cat. 1B), PBT, vPvB
- Pitch, coal tar, high temp. (CAS: 65996-93-2) – Carcinogenic (Cat. 1B), PBT, vPvB
- 4-(1,1,3,3-Tetramethylbutyl) phenol, ethoxylated – Endocrine disrupting properties
- 4-Nonylphenol, branched and linear, ethoxylated – Endocrine disrupting properties
Authorisation. What are the characteristics of the added substances?
The listed substances are included in Annex XIV for some of the intrinsic properties referred to the Article 57, that means that they are in compliance with the classification criteria as carcinogenic substances (Cat. 1A o 1B), mutagenic (Cat. 1A o 1B) or toxic for reproduction (Cat. 1A or 1B), vPvB, PBT.
As provided for in the Title VII and in the Articles from 55 to 66 of REACH regulation, for each substance included in Annex XIV, and therefore subjected to the authorization procedure, the transitional provisions involving two dates settled as follows:
- The expiration date from which the placing on the market and the use of the substance are forbidden, unless specifically approved (art. 58.1 letter c), point i) of REACH);
- The date within which the authorization requests for a particular use of the substance have to be sent (art. 58.1 letter c), point ii) of REACH);
This regulation comes into force on July 4th 2017.
For further information on Reg. 2017/999 and on substances included in the candidate list, follow these links