On August 4, 2015, NHFPC (National Health and Family Planning Commission of the PRC) published draft version of 26 national food safety standards and asked for public comments.
Interested stakeholders can submit their comments online, by logging into the national food safety standards management information system (in Chinese). The deadline for submitting public comments is September 10, 2015.
What food standards are included?
The proposed new standards will regulate testing methods for various components found in food products and food contact materials, general safety requirements for foods and food contact materials, certain hygiene standards (including drinking water and dairy products), determination methods for certain nutrients (vitamins) and other issues, all of which are listed below.
Food Safety in China
China NHFPC is responsible for issuing food safety standards according to the Chinese Food Safety Law. It has been continuously publishing new standards and revising old national food safety standards since the Food Safety Law has been passed in 2009.
In 2015 a revised Food Safety Law was adopted, modernising the Chinese food safety system further. It will come into force on October 1, 2015 and will repeal the 2009 Food Safety Law.
Draft Food Safety Standards
The 26 national food safety standards are listed here:
- Drinking natural mineral water testing method
- Determination of sodium diacetate in food
- Determination of benzene and (a) pyrene in food
- Determination of algal toxins in aquatic products
- Determination of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBS) in food packaging paper
- Determination of content and migration content of di-2-ethylhexyl adipate in food contact material
- Determination of PFOS and PFOA in food contact material
- Determination of methyl methacrylate in food contact material
- Determination of ethyl benzene and styrene in food contact material
- Determination of creosote in cork
- Determination of caprolactam content and migration content in food contact material
- Hygiene standard of cold storage, distribution of cold dairy product
- Hygiene standard of packaged drinking water production
- General safety requirement of food contact material and product
- Cooked meat product
- Determination of Iodine in food
- Determination of paralytic shellfish poison in shellfish
- Determination of ciguatoxin in aquatic products
- Determination of 9 antioxidants in food
- Determination of Vitamin B2 in food
- Determination of Vitamin K1 in food
- General principle of pretreatment method of migration test for food contact material
- Determination of content and migration content of Phthalate in food contact material
- Determination of migration content of melamine in food contact material
- Determination of Diaminotoluene in composite food packaging
- Determination of migration content ofω-aminoundecanoic in food contact material