On June 03rd, 2022, Health Canada’s Food Directorate published a regulation on the use of additives named “Notice of Modification to the List of Permitted Emulsifying, Gelling, Stabilizing or Thickening Agents to Extend the Use of Gellan Gum to Beverage Whiteners”.
The document summarizes the following:
- Gellan gum is already permitted for use as a stabilizing agent in a variety of foods;
- The Maximum level ranges between 41.5 ppm to 5,000 ppm;
- The new request approves the use of Gellan gum as a stabilizing agent in flavored coffee whiteners;
- The requested maximum level of use is 350 parts per million (ppm);
- Information related to technical, chemistry, and toxicology supports the requested use of the additive for its intended purpose.
The regulation is effective from June 03rd, 2022.
To view the complete document, check out the Food News Monitoring System and stay updated.