On February 23, 2023, the Codex Alimentarius published guidelines on the “Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Foods (RUTF) 2022” as the World Health Organization recommended for children's dietary management.
The scope of the document summarizes as follows:
- Provides guidance on the production of RUTF for children aged 6 to 59 months with severe acute malnutrition;
- Ready-to-use supplementary foods (RUSF), micronutrient supplements, processed cereal-based foods, etc are excluded;
- The nutritional composition of RUTF has been well established for Energy, Protein, Vitamin, Minerals, etc.;
- The Standard for the Labelling of and Claims for Food for Special Medical Purposes (CXS 180-1991) shall apply mandatorily;
- The list of ingredients shall comply with CXS 1-1985 and food additives with CXG 10-1979 and CXS 192-1995, respectively.
The document is effective from February 21, 2023.
To view the guidance document in detail, check out the Food News Monitoring System.