On February 15th, 2022, the Codex Alimentarius published the “Regional standard for Kava products for use as a beverage when mixed with water”.
The scope of the standard outlines the following key points:
- Applicable to fresh or dried kava products that are used to prepare a beverage when mixed with potable water;
- Not for use in the final product as kava beverage or for medicinal purposes, or as ingredients in foods or other tradable product or for any other purposes;
- No additives are permitted in the product;
- The product shall meet all the required quality criteria such as being free from pests and any foreign contamination;
- The moisture content of Kava products shall not exceed 12% moisture content;
- The product shall comply with the required contaminants standards established by codex;
- The product shall carry clear “instructions for use” as a key indicator of Labelling.
To view the complete standard, check out the Food News Monitoring System.