- Selerant - Food Regulatory News
- EU Issues Withdrawal of a Pesticide Authorization of All Plant Protection Products
EU Issues Withdrawal of a Pesticide Authorization of All Plant Protection Products
Contaminants & Pesticides
Posted By: Benoit Gruber
On December 15, 2020, the European Union (EU) Commission published the “Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/2087 of 14 December 2020 concerning the non-renewal of the approval of the active substance mancozeb, in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 1107/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council concerning the placing of plant protection products on the market, and amending the Annex to Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 540/2011”.
The scientific opinions earlier confirmed health concerns, in particular having a toxic effect on reproduction, and the protection of the environment. Below are the key highlights of the document:
- Commission Directive 2005/72/EC included mancozeb as an active substance in Annex I to Council Directive 91/414/EEC.
- Active substances included in Annex I to Directive 91/414/EEC are deemed to have been approved under Regulation (EC) No 1107/2009 and are listed in Part A of the Annex to Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 540/2011.
- The approval of the active substance mancozeb, as set out in Part A of the Annex to Implementing Regulation (EU) No 540/2011, expires on 31 January 2021.
- Member States should be given sufficient time to withdraw authorisations for plant protection products containing mancozeb.
- or plant protection products containing mancozeb, where Member States grant any grace period in accordance with Article 46 of Regulation (EC) No 1107/2009, that period should at the latest, expire on 4 January 2022.
As part of the EU's commitment to make food systems more sustainable and to protect citizens from harmful substances, the European Commission has decided to withdraw Mancozeb from the EU market.
To view the complete list of requirements stated in the document, follow our Food News Monitoring System.