On December 08, 2022, the European Commission published a regulation on the “Regulation (EU) 2022/2388 amending Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006 on maximum levels of perfluoroalkyl substances” in certain foodstuffs.
The scope of the regulation highlights the following key points:
- The perfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) used in the commercial and industrial application has resulted in widespread environmental contamination;
- Exposure to PFASs may have adverse effects on human health related to the immune system and birth weight;
- Maximum levels in food should be set to ensure a high level of human health protection;
- Food business operators shall comply with the rules set out in the regulation to adapt to the maximum levels and a reasonable period shall be provided for the conformance;
- Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006 shall be amended accordingly;
- Foodstuffs placed on the market before January 01, 2023, shall remain on the market until the use-by date.
The regulation is effective from January 01, 2023.
To view the regulation, Check out the Food News Monitoring System and stay up-to-date.