On April 08th, 2022, the European Food Safety Authority on Nutrition, Novel Foods, and Food Allergens (NDA) published the “Safety of Beta‐lactoglobulin as a Novel food pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2015/2283”.
The document outlines the following on the Novel Food:
- Consists of BLG as a primary component equivalent to BLG present in bovine milk and whey protein isolate (WPI);
- Produced from bovine whey by crystallization under acidic or neutral conditions;
- Proposed use applications as a food ingredient in isotonic and sports drinks, whey powder and milk‐based drinks, etc.;
- The highest daily intake estimated for children of 3 to 10 years of age as 667 mg/kg body weight/day;
- Exposure studies on minerals do not raise concerns;
- No genotoxic and nutritional concerns were identified;
- Toxicological studies showed no adverse effects up to the highest dose tested i.e., 1,000 mg NF/kg bw per day;
- Safe under the proposed conditions of use.
To view the complete safety assessment report, check out the Food News Monitoring System.