On April 06th, 2022, the European Food Safety Authority on Nutrition, Novel Foods, and Food Allergens (NDA) delivered an article on “Safety of pea and rice protein fermented by Shiitake (Lentinula edodes) mycelia as a Novel food pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2015/2283”.
The document summarizes the following:
- The Novel food (NF) is a mixture of fermented pea and rice protein concentrates;
- Proposed to be used as a food ingredient in specific food categories;
- The amount of protein in the NF provides sufficient amounts of essential amino acids;
- Dietary exposure to nutrients and contaminants analyzed does not raise concern;
- The NF has the potential capacity to sensitive individuals or to induce allergic reactions in individuals allergic to pea, rice, and Shiitake mushroom;
- The proposed use levels and recommended intakes do not raise safety concerns.
To view the complete safety assessment report, check out the Food News Monitoring System.