On June 14th, 2022, the European Food Safety Authority on Nutrition, Novel Foods, and Food Allergens published an article on the “Safety of Vitamin D Mushroom powder as a Novel food pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2015/2283 (NF 2019/1471)”.
The safety assessment of the Novel food outlines the following:
- The additive is Produced from Agaricus bisporus mushroom exposed to ultraviolet (UV) irradiation;
- The method induces the conversion of provitamin D2 (ergosterol) to vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol);
- Contains levels of vitamin D in the form of vitamin D2 in the range of 125–375 µg/g;
- To add as an ingredient in a variety of foods and beverages;
- To add as a food supplement, for infants from 7 to 11 months at a maximum of 10 µg vitamin D2/day and of 15 µg vitamin D2/day for individuals aged 1 year or older, etc.;
- Information related to the production process, composition, and specifications does not raise safety concerns under the proposed conditions of use.
To view the document, check out the Food News Monitoring System.