On October 06th, 2021, the European Food Safety Authority reviewed certain limits of pesticides on “Focussed assessment of certain existing maximum residues levels of concern for abamectin” in accordance with article 43 of Regulation (EC) No 396/2005.
The scope of the assessment is summarized as below:
- Existing MRLs may lead to consumers intake concerns on the basis of the lower toxicological reference values established;
- Identify the MRLs of potential concern that require a more detailed assessment;
- Screening of existing MRLs for Abamectin with the new toxicological reference values and an acute risk could not be excluded for 12 commodities;
- Fall-back MRLs has been proposed for Strawberries at 0.08 mg/kg, Cucumber 0.02 mg/kg, Tomatoes 0.015 mg/kg, etc;
- Food commodities such as Apples, Pears, and Escaroles fall‐back MRLs could not be derived;
- Lowering the MRLs for such crops to the limit of quantification (LOQ) is proposed.
To view the safety assessment report, check out the Food News Monitoring System.