On March 09th, 2022, the European Food Safety Authority published an article on the “Safety evaluation of the food enzyme glucan 1,4 α-glucosidase from the genetically modified Aspergillus niger strain NZYM-BR” in accordance with Article 12 of Regulation (EC) No 1331/2008.
The scope of the assessment on the enzymes is summarized as follows:
- Intended to be used in starch processing for the production of glucose syrups and distilled alcohol;
- Dietary exposure estimation was considered unnecessary since TOS are removed by the purification process;
- No risk assessment concerns on Genotoxicity was identified due to genetic modifications;
- Allergic sensitization due to dietary exposure concludes risk on a lower occurrence;
- Under the intended conditions of use, the food enzymes do not give rise to a safety concern in human health.
To view the complete safety assessment report, check out the Food News Monitoring System.