On March 29th, 2022, the Food Safety Standard Authority of India published a regulation on “Direction under Section 16 (5) of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 dated 29th March 2022 regarding the operationalization of FSS (Health Supplements, Nutraceuticals, Food for Special Dietary Use, Food for Special Medical Purpose and Prebiotic and Probiotic Food), Regulations, 2022 [FSS (Nutra) Regulations, 2022]”
The document outlines the following:
- A new framework has been drafted and is termed FSS Regulations 2022;
- The main purpose is to make the regulation unambiguous and clear;
- The regulation is in reference to section 92 of the Food Safety and Standards (FSS) Act 2006;
- To operationalize the provisions of the various sections of the regulations as per Annexure 1;
- The schedules as applicable to different categories of these regulations are enclosed in Annexure 2;
- The list of additives and purity criteria is enclosed in Annexure 3;
- The regulation shall supersede FSS (Health Supplements) Nutraceuticals, Food for Special Dietary Use, Food for Special Medical Purpose, Functional Food, and Novel Food) Regulations 2016 and any amendments made thereunder.
The regulation is effective from April 01st, 2022.
To view the complete regulation, check out the Food News Monitoring System and Stay up-to-date.