On November 30th, 2021, the Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) issued the “2′-FL from a new GM source for infant formula” to allow a new production method for a permitted oligosaccharide (2′fucosyllactose (2ʹ-FL)) added to infant formula products.
The scope of the document highlights the following key points:
- FSANZ Code already permits the addition of 2'FL to infant formula products;
- 2ʹ-FL is a non-digestible carbohydrate, or oligosaccharide, found naturally in human milk;
- Usage as a nutritive substance in infant formula products at levels consistent with those found in mature human milk;
- To allow the voluntary addition of 2′-FL produced by microbial fermentation using a new genetically modified (GM) production strain;
- To permit the voluntary addition of 2′-FL to infant formula products at maximum levels of 2.4 g/L;
- The risk assessment indicates no safety concerns with the addition of 2′-FL to infant formula products at their use levels.
The scientific document is open for public consultation period until January 31st, 2022.
To view the report, check out the Food News Monitoring System and stay up-to-date.