On December 14, 2020, the Food Safety Standards Authority of India published Gazette notification on the “Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020”.
The scientific document describes the following provisions:
- Chapter 1 Prescribes the labelling requirements of pre-packaged foods and display of essential information on premises where food is manufactured, processed, served and stored.
- Various definitions have been listed unless the context otherwise requires.
- Chapter 2 covers the general requirements of labelling of prepackaged foods such as Name of food, Name of food, List of ingredients, Nutritional information, Calculation of Nutrients.
- Also includes declaration regarding food additives, Declaration of name and complete address, FSSAI logo and license number, Net quantity, Retail Sale Price and Consumer Care details, Lot/Code/Batch identification, Date Marking etc.
- Chapter 3 of the regulation contains Display of information in food service establishments.
- Chapter 4 indicates Labelling Requirements of non-retail container.
- Chapter 5 of regulation mentions of Labelling of packaged Food Additives for Retail Sale
- Schedule II has been set out with mandatory labelling declaration for various food products.
The regulation shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette and Food Business Operator shall comply with all the provisions of these regulations after one year from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette except chapter-3 of these regulations, to which Food Business Operator shall comply by January 1st, 2022.
Check out the detailed Regulation on our Food News Monitoring System.