On December 18, 2020, the Food Safety Authority of India published the first amendment to the regulation “Fortification of Foods”.
The scope of draft scientific document entails the following information for implementation-
- The regulation is applicable to the following Fortified food categories such as Milk, Cereal Products and Fruit Juices.
- The Fortified Processed Food shall provide 15-30% of the RDA of micronutrient based on an average calorie intake of 600 kcal from processed foods (approximately 1/3rd of daily energy requirement for an adult)
- High Fat Sugar Salt (HFSS) Foods shall be excluded from Fortified Processed Foods category. The definition of HFSS foods shall have the same meaning as specified under the Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020.
- Any manufacturer who fortifies any processed food shall ensure that the level of micronutrients in such fortified processed food shall fall within the range specified in Schedule-III.
- The regulation shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette and food business operator shall comply with these regulations with effect from 1st July, 2021.
To view the complete list of nutrients and their limits under various food categories listed in this regulation, check out the Food News Monitoring System.