On January 11, 2023, the Food Safety Authority of India published a regulation on the “Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) First Amendment Regulations” per section 92 of the Food Safety and Standards Act.
The document proposes the following information for consideration:
- Under the “General Standards for Milk and Milk Products”, clause 1 subclause F (vi) shall be substituted with “dahi, skimmed milk dahi;
- Clause 2.1.2 for Standard for Milk and 2.1.13 on Standards for Fermented milk product have been revised;
- Basmati rice and Blended rice shall conform to the standard specified in the regulation for their physicochemical and microbial attributes;
- According to Clause 6 of regulation 2.7.4 for chocolate, the phrase "contains vegetable oil in addition to cocoa butter" is replaced by the phrase "contains cocoa butter equivalent to butter/vegetable fat in addition to cocoa butter";
- The tables under Appendix A on “Use of food additives in food products” and Appendix C “Use of processing aids in food products” have been amended.
The regulation shall come into force on August 01, 2023, except regulation 2.6 on “Limits of formaldehyde” which shall come into force on the date of the publication in the official gazette.
To review the contents of this news in detail, check out the Food News Monitoring System.