On September 6th, 2021, The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has published the “Food Safety and Standards (Health Supplements, Nutraceuticals, Food for Special Dietary Use, Food for Special Medical Purpose, Functional Food and Novel Food) First Amendment Regulations, 2021”
The scope of the scientific document indicates the following:
- The regulations shall not be applicable to infants up to the age of 24 months;
- Foods intended for infants up to the age 24 months are specified under the Food Safety and Standards (Food for infant nutrition) Regulations, 2020;
- The products covered under these regulations intended for children of 2 to 5 years shall only be given under medical advice by any physician or certified dietician or nutritionist;
- Flavors for products covered under these regulations may be used in accordance with the provisions of regulation 3.3.1 of Food Safety and Standards (Food Product Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011;
- Values for vitamins, minerals, and trace elements allowed to be used in Food for special medical purposes (other than those intended for use in infant formula).
To view the complete document, check out the Food News Monitoring System.