On November 18, 2022, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India published a notification on the “Food Safety and Standards (Genetically Modified Foods) Regulations, 2022” as required by section 92 Food Safety Standards act of 2006.
The document summarizes the following provisions for consideration:
Food business operators and manufacturers shall adhere to the provisions of this regulation effective from the date of the publication in the Official Gazette.
- The regulation applies to Genetically modified organisms intended for food use, food ingredients produced from GMOs containing modified DNA;
- Food ingredients produced from GMOs that do not contain modified DNA and include ingredients/additives/processing aids derived from GMOs;
- The requirements exclude genome-edited crops of SDN1 and SDN2 categories;
- Prior approval from authority is required for the manufacture, sale, and import of any food or food ingredient produced from GMOs;
- All GM foods shall comply with the packaging and labeling requirements specified under the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging) Regulations, 2018, and Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020.
To access the document and stay up to date with the latest regulations and news, check out the Food News Monitoring System.