On June 13th, 2022, the New Zealand Food Safety Ministry of Primary Industries issued an article on the “Proposals to Amend the New Zealand (Maximum Residue Levels for Agricultural Compounds) Food Notice”.
The proposal summarizes the following:
- To determine MRLs for an agricultural compound it is needed to establish GAP for the use of the compound in the target species or crop;
- The dietary exposure and toxicological data indicate that the intake of the residues from the consumption of agricultural compounds is unlikely to pose a health risk to consumers;
- Schedule 1 of the notice includes new entries for compounds such as Altrenogest, Isofetamid, Oleandomycin;
- The amendment of the existing entries includes the compounds Abamectin, Nitroxynil; Maldison, Sulfoxaflor, etc.;
- The removal of the existing entries in the Notice for Azocyclotin and Kanamycin;
- Schedule 2 amends the existing entry for Phosphorous Acid to adjust the wording of the condition to clarify its scope.
The draft document is open for public consultation period until August 12th, 2022.
To view the complete notice, check out the Food News Monitoring System.