On November 22, 2022, the Food and Drug Administration of the Philippines issued a notification on the “Guidelines on Ethylene Oxide Residue Level in Raw Materials and Processed Prepackaged Food” Under Section 15 (b) of the Food Safety Act of 2013 (FSA).
The provisions of this document aim to establish the following key points :
- To regulate the presence of ethylene oxide residue in processed prepackaged food products, ingredients, or food additives;
- Ethylene oxide shall not be used in processed prepackaged food products;
- Use of ethylene oxide in the primary stage or post-harvest stage of the raw materials/ingredients, the level shall not exceed 0.1 ppm;
- Food products containing ethylene oxide residue beyond 0.1 ppm shall be considered adulterated;
- FBOs found in violation of this Circular shall be penalized per the rules and regulations of RA No. 9711 or the FDA Act of 2009 and RA No. 10611 or the Food Safety Act of 2013.
The draft circular is open for public comments until December 08, 2022, and shall enter into force fifteen (15) days after its publication in the official gazette.
To view the document and stay up to date, check out the Food News Monitoring System.