On May 3, 2021, the Singapore Food Authority’s scientific opinion issued a draft consultation on the “Food (Amendment No. X) Regulations 2021” which is likely to come into effect later this year.
The scope of the document summarizes the following:
- To permit the use of new food additives and ingredients-Three new types of enzyme modified Steviol glycosides will be permitted for use as sweetening agents under Regulation 18.
- To extend the use of existing food additives.
- Sodium polyacrylate will be permitted for use in instant noodles to improve strength and texture, in an amount not exceeding 2000 ppm.
- 2’-fucosyllactose / difucosyllactose mixture, Lacto-N-tetraose (LNT) will be allowed within the stipulated limits for food category such as infant formula.
- To revise the maximum limits for heavy metals in food to be in line with international standards.
- To ensure coherence in the regulation- Purity of the food additive must conform to the specifications as provided in the Food Regulations. If not addressed, then the purity of the permitted food additive must conform to JECFA’s specifications.
The draft regulation is open for public comments until July 02, 2021.
To view the draft and stay up-to-date with latest regulations, check out the Food News Monitoring System