On March 31, 2018, the Taiwan Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) released the Amendment on “Regulations on Nutrition Labeling for Prepackaged Food Products". The amendment took effect immediately.
The purpose of this revision is to make food nutrition labeling requirements in Taiwan more consistent with the international regulations. The main changes are listed as below:
- Added horizontal format of nutrition label: The nutrition information which cannot be completely presented in the vertical table format can be labeled in horizontal continuous form.
- Added UOM's English expression: Added g, mg, mL, L and other universally recognized common English unit symbols.
- Added rounding method “Round half up” method: Besides the existing CNS2925 “Practices for Designating Significant Places in Specific Limiting Values” method, “Round half up” method is added as rounding method.
- When an non-assembled prepackaged product with varied weight or its serving number is not divisible, the serving number can be labeled as “ This package contains (about) ○ serving(s)” after data formatting to whole integers.
- Saturated fats can be labeled as saturated fats (or saturated fatty acids), and trans fats can be labeled as trans fats (or trans fatty acids).
- Individual nutrients can be listed under their upper level nutrients. For example, individual sugars or sugar alcohols can be listed under carbohydrates. Cholesterol or other fatty acids can be listed under fats. Amino acids can be listed under protein.
- The sodium content and the serving value can be indicated by an integer or a decimal place.