On September 28th, 2022, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a notification on the “Proposed rule to update the definition of the nutrient content claim “healthy.”
The proposed rules on claims highlight the following key points:
- To provide informative and accessible food labeling to consumers;
- Definition aligned with current nutrition science, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025, and the updated Nutrition Facts label;
- To ensure nutrient-dense foods help build consumer's diet consistent with current dietary recommendations can qualify to bear the claim;
- Provide information to identify foods to build healthy eating patterns;
- Inclusion of fruits, vegetables, lower-fat dairy, and whole grains is associated with improved health;
- To help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, certain types of cancers, obesity, etc.
The public consultation period is valid until 90 days.
To view the complete document, check out the Food News Monitoring System.