On March 13, 2023, the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) published a regulation in the Federal Register on “Voluntary Labeling of FSIS-Regulated Products with U.S.-Origin Claims”.
The document emphasizes the following key points:
- To ensure meat, poultry, and egg products are safe, wholesome, and properly labeled and packaged;
- To amend regulation for the specified food categories to bear voluntary label claims-U.S origin;
- Voluntary inclusion of Claims must meet the requirement as per the proposed rule;
- Proposal to amend labeling regulations at 9 CFR part 412, Label Approval;
- The two authorized voluntary label claims to indicate that an FSIS-regulated product is of U.S. origin: ‘‘Product of USA’’ and ‘‘Made in the USA.’’
The proposed regulation is valid for public comments until May 12, 2023.
To view the regulation in detail, check out the Food News Monitoring System and Stay Up to date.